What is it? An app that allows anyone, at any time, to run a ‘virtual’ orienteering course.
Where can I do it? Courses all over the country (and the world)
Where is the map? You can run the course just using the app on your phone, but most orienteers also print off a map for ease of navigation.
What sort of map? Some of the maps are A4 sections of existing orienteering maps and some are street maps generated using the Open Orienteering Map project.
How do I do Maprun? Guidelines on how to use MapRun
Extra Guidelines based on recent experience
Wessex MapRun Maps
- Boscombe & Seafront – a choice of Straight or Odds/Evens score events, starting in Shelley Park. Bracing sea air along the clifftop and promenade. Straight Score is about 6k and the Odds/Evens approx. 9k. Maps: Boscombe Straight Score, Boscombe Odds/Evens Score
- Boscombe Overcliff and Town – Start is again at Shelley park where there is plenty of parking (very busy in height of summer!) Map; Control Descriptions.
- Broadstone/Creekmoor – based around the streets and Creekmoor Lakes. Park in Soper’s Lane near Siemens. Map and Control Descriptions
- Broadstone & Hillbourne – car park indicated on map. Leave Broadstone shops SE down the hill on B3074. At bottom, narrow left turn before Barn Road, easily overshot. Signed but not very clearly. In football season avoid car park on Sat & Sun mornings. Instead use the far end of Barn Road and the SE foot entrance to the Rec. MAP SCALE 1:5200. Slightly different from standard but you shoudn’t notice the difference! Nearest toilets: Tesco’s 5 mins drive away. Continue further SE on B3074 to join A349 at roundabout. SE on A349 through two sets of lights & take the right filter. Map and Control Descriptions
- Canford Heath – a technical urban Straight Score course, with the Start in the Asda car park. Distance is between 7.7 and 8.5 k, depending on your route choice. Canford Heath Control Descriptions (not on the map) Canford Heath Map
- Canford Heath Winter MapRun – suggest parking in the Asda Car Park off Adastral Road. Please ensure for your own safety that you fully comply with the out of bounds marked on the map that means the southern area of the map can only be accessed via the underpass close to Control 6. Map Control Descriptions
- Christchurch Town – a lovely line (i.e. not a score) event around some of the older parts of the town, as well as some residential areas. The optimum route distance is approximately 7.3k. The Start is at Wick slipway. The map is here: Christchurch
- Friar’s Cliff, Christchurch – used for a Night League event so trickier than most! The map is A3 so will need to be printed on 2 pages. There is plenty of street parking near to the Sandpiper Pub. Start is down a path opposite the pub. Or else there is parking at Mudeford Wood Community Centre near Control 4 at the top of the map. NB The original map was 1:4000 A3 sized, but a map printed out on an A4 sheet is quite useable. Please make sure you use the Winter MapRun League version, not the Wessex Night League one. Map; Control Descriptions
- Greenberry – a non-urban course. The sensitivity of the controls has been set to 30m (instead of the usual 15m in urban areas) as the precise location of some of the mapped features is less accurate. So don’t be surprised if the control is picked up on your phone when you are not quite there! Parking is in the Holmsley Car Park (NOT Holmsley Walk CP near the campsite) at the NW corner of Holmsley Inclosure in the New Forest. It is unlikely that anyone will collect all the controls in the allowed 60mins as the optimum route is about 12.5-12.75k – hats off to anyone who does! IMPORTANT NOTE: This course MUST NOT be run during March – July due to the presence of ground-nesting birds, in line with national British Orienteering Guidelines. Also please ensure you do not cross the sensitive marsh areas marked as OOB. Control Descriptions are not on the map, so these are provided separately. Map: Greenberry; Control Descriptions
- Poole Park Safe Maprun – an interesting park with several lakes and plenty of wildlife. This course comprises an Orange standard course of 2.5Km length starting near the Arc restaurant carpark (free). Course description are on the map. Poole Park Safe Maprun map
- Poole Town – this is based on the original map (used for our Night League events etc) but with a lot less detail. A choice of Straight and Odds/Evens Score with the distances being about 5.5k and 8k. No control descriptions on the map. Start/Finish is in Baiter Car park (charges apply).This map is not as detailed as the original version – so many fences, walls, trees, canopies etc are unmapped. (I’ve only mapped a couple of trees where I’ve used them for controls!) However, this should not affect your navigation/route choices. I have added a couple of areas of OOB: the one in the NW corner has been added because the road layout has changed and I haven’t had time to remap it. But you can run along the SE edge of this, (from 5-21). The other area is in the NE corner, on the edge of Poole Park where they’ve been doing a load of reconstruction. July 2020 Map: Poole Town; Control Descriptions
- Poole Town No. 2 – Parking at Baiter Car Park, Catalina Drive. Use underpasses to cross railway. Controls 20 and 26 have been moved a little. PLEASE ensure you load the correct course in MapRun – the course is named “Poole Town Winter MapRun” – be careful as Poole has multiple courses loaded in MapRun
Poole Map and Control Descriptions
- Queens/Kings Parks – a lovely mix of parkland, woods and residential streets, well-known to Night League competitors! There’s a Straight Score – distance about 9.75k – and Odds/Evens, approx. 11.5k. The Start is in the Queens Park Golf Club. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHER USERS, PARTICULARLY GOLFERS, ESPECIALLY WHEN CROSSING FAIRWAYS. Control descriptions are not on the map so are provided separately. Map: Kings/QueensPark; Kings/Queens Park Control Descriptions
- Tisbury – courtesy of a Sarum map, this Straight Score has been set up in the lovely Wiltshire village. The start is by the war memorial in the square and the finish by the free parking. Please park in the free car park and not on the High Street. The optimum distance is approximately 7.5-8k. Map: Tisbury
- Upton – a 1:10000 based on an Open Orienteering Map and includes some of Upton Country Park and the urban area of Upton itself. The points system is different to our others, so please check the details. Start is in Upton Country Park car park (charges apply). Map, control descriptions and information. Optimum distance is about 11.8k. Map: Upton.
Wimborne OC also have a large selection of MapRun courses which can be found here.